Monday, July 22, 2013

Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome

            I strongly agree with andrade talking about the effects of the trauma students face and how they come to school not focusing on schoolwork when their friend just died. Trauma is inducing and ever present in the inner city. Its truly amazing how much trauma people get use to. One might see somebody die and that's traumatic. One might hear that someone they know died, that's traumatic. One might hear that a 3 yr old died, that's traumatic. One could of heard the gunshots 4 blocks away of someone dying, that's traumatic.

In the urban areas this happens awfully a lot and people get use to it. Just last night my neighbor was shooting in the air with my two nieces outside and about 4 differnt kids from different neighbors houses. I looked out the window and no one was running. I could see my neighbor walking towards his house with the gun in hand. I didn't jump up and get my nieces, nobody panicked and I even went back to my conversation with my sister. Three hours later the Mexicans across the street started shooting for the fourth day straight. 

The more things happen people start to get desensitized to violence. Therefore holding human life at a minimum, since its so common to lose. this goes back to the slave days when the slave master who made it common practice to rape female slaves, told the slave mother "Well now, that Mary of yours is really coming along". in an effort to try an persuade her master from seeing qualities in her daughter she said "oh my Mary, she stupid, she cant work, she aint worth nothing" also the father of these children had to endure his wife and daughters pain all while not being able to help. so a lot of fathers just run not knowing how to deal with it mentally. so what began as an appropriate adaption to an oppressive environment of demeaning children and having no father it has been transmitted down through generations. Just like the family business savvy of Heinz Ketchup Owners through generations of the family so has the many slave adaptations that are ever present today.

1. Trauma, how do we deal with it in a school, where children spend 8 hours a day? Its part of their life, just as much as the parents.

2. Is this a mountain too big to climb? 

3. Trauma is ever present. Is it the schools responsibility?




No comments:

Post a Comment